Because it’s World Nutella Day, we figured we’d celebrate by making our own. This recipe is a classic in the Foodie Underground kitchen, and is great on scones, apple slices, and even stirred into ice cream. Vegan and gluten free of course.
Warning though: it’s hard not to eat the whole batch.
Chocolate Hazelnut Spread with Sea Salt (Homemade Nutella)
- 1 cup roasted hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Chocolate Sea Salt (to make this, combine equal parts flaky sea salt with finely chopped baker’s chocolate… keep it on hand as a garnish for other things!)
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 tablespoons canola oil or hazelnut oil
- Put all ingredients in food processor and mix until a spreadable consistency.
- Pour into an airtight container and store in refrigerator.