20 Other Things the $20 Million Soylent Investment Could Have Been Used For
Unless you somehow missed what Soylent is, it’s an attempt at providing people with all the nutritional elements that a healthy diet would give them in one single drink.
The brainchild behind it is a 20-something tech guy named Rob Rhinehart, who we can only assume was so busy coding that he was annoyed at the idea of having to waste time on cooking and eating. Wouldn’t it just be better if you could drink a smoothie and call it a day?
The tech world has followed suite, and Rhinehart has charmed enough people that he has managed to get a heavy amount of investment in his product. Just last week it was announced that he had secured an additional $20 million in funding.
In a food replacement product.
Here are 20 other things that the $20 million could have been spent on, all that have nothing to do with food replacement, and good ol’ real food instead:
1. School garden programs.
2. Farmers market matching programs, where people using food stamps to buy fresh produce double the amount they have to shop with.
3. An anti-McDonald’s advertising campaign.
4. Supporting independent food journalism.
5. Food hubs that help serve as a link between regional and small-scale farmers and the retail sector.
6. Seed banks, to help protect biodiversity and our food system.
7. An anti Monsanto campaign.
8. Figuring out how to get fresh produce sold at every single gas station in America.
9. Start-up capital for zero waste restaurants.
10. Rooftop gardens.
11. Funding every single project on FarmRaiser.
12. Cooking classes for schools.
13. Community gardening programs.
14. A couple of food documentaries.
15. Food banks.
16. Urban farms.
17. Saving honey bees.
18. Eliminating the high fructose syrup industry.
19. Research about the link between cancer and pesticides.
20. Municipal composting programs.
Image: Dennis van Zuijlekom
Nest-spresso: The Amazing Pod Machine That Turns Eggs Into Instant Chickens
Chocolate Coffee Hazelnut Spread (i.e. DIY Nutella... with Coffee)